AccountsDepartment is instrumental in bettering the financial results of the Railways.It is this department that brings to book the whole array of expenditure and Earnings of the Division and thus renders a clear picture of the Division’s viability. The various rules and procedures supported by well-built mechanism allows the department to exercise high-end checks on each rupee spent by Railways.From being a friendly critic, it is now evolving into an organ to contain leakage and better internal audit of appropriations to expenditure.Additionally, it is also playing a significant role in increasing non-traditional sources of revenue.
Organization of Accounts Department
Proposals for investments to create assets/operation & maintenance of the same:
- Scrutiny of PWP and LSWP proposals.
- Scrutiny and concurrence of proposals.
- Vetting of indents, estimates, briefs notes, variations etc.
- Vetting of agreements and subsidiary agreements.
The various phases of work of settlement section are finalizing the settlement dues payable to the retired employees and to the beneficiaries of the deceased railway employees.
- Verification of Service Registers and Leave Accounts of employees due to retire from service on attaining the age of superannuation, on voluntary retirement, compulsory retirement, removal from service/ on dismissal from service and on death and certification of last pay, leave balances i.e., LAP & LHAPand period of non-qualifying service.
- On submission of settlement papers along with the Service Registers, Leave Accounts and bills for payment of last salary, leave encashment (EOL) of unutilised LAP/LHAP verification is done with reference to the last pay drawn and qualifying service and Retirement Gratuity/Death Gratuity, Commutation value of Pension, EOL, last salary bill, CGEGIS amounts are passed for payment.
- A Pension Payment Order is issued to the pensioner/family pension and the pension paying bank duly authorizing the bank to make payment of pension/family pension as per the details furnished therein.
- Verification of WCA proposals and signifying concurrence for lumpsum Ex-Gratia compensation and payment of the same to the beneficiaries.
- Verification of Secondary Family Pension proposals and issue of Pension Payment Order
- RTI references, DPG cases/references
- Maintenance of Deposit Pension Ledger – Passsing of returned cheques, release of withheld amount of DG/RG
- Passing of miscellaneous bills like PLB, DA arrears, OT/TA arrears, Risk Allowance, Additional Allowance, Composite Transfer Grant, arrears of pay and allowance due to grant of benefit of MACPS etc.
Establishment & PF / NPS:
- Revision of Pension and Gratuity due to grant of benefit of MACPs.
- Passing of Salary bills, various emoluments.
- Maintenance of PF accounts, Passing of PF loan applications.
- Liaising with NSDL and transferring PF recoveries in case of employees under NPS.
INNOVATIONSNew Ideas implemented:
- Bill Status: Contractors/Suppliers bills status updated in SCR website on day to day basis.
- e-payment: Employees salaries, Provident Fund, Settlement Payments Contractual payments are paid through ECS, NEFT and CORE Banking systems.
- e-filing of TDS ```: Recoveries from employees, Contractors/Suppliers and other misc. have been e-filed regularly based on PAN No. of employees, Contractors/Suppliers.
- IVRS & Touch Screen at o/o Sr.DFM/SC: Contractors/Suppliers Bills, Provident Fund status, employees Leave status and Pension commutation details.
- Change in work practice - Implementation of E-recon: It is an online portal for preparing, disposal and reconciliation of transfer transactions both Inter Railway and Intra Railways. It is expected to replace manual, quarterly and annual reconciliation through electronic transfer and ensures speedy settlement of transactions, generation of JV's and related reports while aiding in monitoring of transactions at different levels of management.
- Implementation of - IRPSM: ( Indian Railways Projects Sanctions and Management) is a Web-based Application that allows Online creation of proposals, Finance views on the same and forwarding of 'New Works' proposals along with modifications to 'Work in Progress' from Divisions to Zonal Railways and onward to Railway Board for processing and Sanctions of Projects in Railway Board, Zonal Railways/Divisions etc.
Highlights / Events of the December -2013
Settlement Cases: 46 Normal retirements and 54 other than normal retirement cases were settled during the month.
Completion Reports: There has been an accretion and clearance of 15 Completion Report during the month.
Bills Recoverable: An amount of Rs. 71.54 crores was realized during the month. Thus, the outstanding amount under “Bills Recoverable” is Rs. 6.57 crores.
Demands Recoverable: The closing balance to end of Dec 2013 stands at Rs. 2.50 crores(approx.).
Source : South Central Railway CMS Team Last Reviewed on: 04-02-2014