- Includes electrification of 612 track kms in new sections
- 182 track kms electrified in Telangana, AP and Maharashtra during the last week of March alone
The Mission Electrification of Indian Railways has received a major boost over the South Central Railway, with around 750 track kms on its rail network getting electrified during the financial year 2020-21. Importantly, out of this total, 612 track kms have been electrified in the new sections, while around 64 track kms of double lines and 69 track kms of third lines have also been electrified. This achievement is particularly remarkable as the works were carried across the Zone, inspite of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The pace of electrification continued right upto the last week of the financial year with the electrification works being carried out for 182 track kms across the three states in SCR. While, Umdanagar – Falaknama and Vikarabad – Kohir sections were electrified in Telanagana during this period, Tenali – Repalle and kavalai – Ulawapadu (third line) sections were electrified in Andhra Pradesh and Akola – Lohad sections were electrified in Maharashtra.
The team of Officials and Staff made meticulous planning to ensure that the electrification works are carried out across the Zone in a systematic and safe manner, duly taking all COVID related precautions. Addition of the electrified section to the rail network will help in:
· Providing seamless movement of trains by avoiding change in traction power
· Reduced enroute detention of both the coaching and freight trains
· Improves the average speed of the trains (by reducing detention)
· Provides an environment-friendly means of powering the trains, while saving fuel costs at the same time.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, South Central Railway complimented the proactive involvement of railway officials at both the Zonal and Divisional levels and close coordination with the electrification authorities. The General Manager while appreciating the works done has stressed on timely completion of pre-electrification works and advance planning of schedule for traffic blocks to carry forward this momentum in the ensuing financial year.