Major Cement Companies and the Railway PSU, Rail Vikas Nigam Limited (RVNL) have come forward to strengthen the efforts of the South Central Railway in providing COVID-related treatment at the Railway Hospitals. As part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) activities, these companies have donated 12 High flow Nasal Cannula (HFNC) Oxygen Devices to the South Central Railway. These HFNC Devices are very useful for treating COVID patients suffering with respiratory infection.
Currently, three Hospitals under the purview of South Central Railway have been recognized as COVID-Care centers. These include Central Hospital, Lallaguda and Divisional Railway Hospitals at Vijayawada and Guntakal. Both serving & retired railway employees along with their dependents having mild / very mild symptoms are being treated at these Hospitals. While these Hospitals already had provision of ventilators for supplying oxygen for COVID patients with respiratory infection, it was felt that the High flow Nasal Cannula Oxygen Devices will further strengthen the facilities at the Hospital.
Accordingly, all the Divisions under SCR have been procuring these devices. But with the support being extended by the Companies under their CSR initiative, the medical facilities at these Hospitals is getting further strengthened. While Rail Vikas Nigam Limited has donated 10 devices, Ultra Tech Cements and Bharathi Cements have donated a unit each. The HFNC units are particularly useful in early treatment of COVID patients who require regular flow of oxygen.
The main features &benefits of the device are as under -
· High Flow Nasal Cannula Oxygen Therapy is carried out using an oxygen blender, active humidifier, single heated tube and nasal cannula.
· This equipment is compatible for the usage in ICU and also in emergency wards.
· It works with single system for treating infants, pediatric and adult patients.
· It comes with inbuilt flow generator capable of delivering oxygen flow in the range of 2 to 25 litres of oxygen in pediatric mode and 10 to 60 litres in adult mode.
· It comes with an inbuilt air/oxygen blender and inbuilt air source without any need for external compressor.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, South Central Railway has appreciated the initiative taken by these companies in donating these critical units under the CSR program.
The General Manager while accepting the devices on behalf of SCR stated that these devices play a crucial role in providing timely treatment to COVID-19 patients, particularly suffering with respiratory problems. The General Manager on behalf of SCR thanked RVNL, Ultra Tech Cements and Bharathi Cements for donating vital equipment which will strengthen the treatment facility in the Railway Hospitals nominated for COVID-19 patient care.