- Zone Registered Parcel earnings of Rs 104.37 crores
- Inspite of the pandemic, new initiatives help in surpassing last year’s earnings
The parcel revenue of the SCR achieved a major milestone with the current financial year’s earnings surpassing the last financial year total earnings. As on 23rd March 2021, SCR total parcel revenue registered Rs 104.37 crores against the last financial year’s total Parcel revenue of Rs. 103.86 crores. Meticulous planning with special focus on the transportation of essential commodities combined with new initiatives to tap the demand has contributed in the parcel earnings surpassing last year levels, inspite of regulated number of trains operating due to the COVID pandemic.
The new initiatives introduced during this period like Timetabled parcel trains, Doodh Duronto, Kisan Rails and transportation to Bangladesh among others have contributed more than 32% of the total parcels quantity transported during this financial year. In addition, these new initiatives have led to diversifying the parcel commodity basket and making it more broad-based, while at the same time adding stations (both originating and destination) onto the Parcel map of the SCR. The Zone has also to its credit several firsts in its Parcel performance which includes the following:
· The Zone amongst the first to start Time Tabled parcel trains. During the current financial year, 519 timetabled Parcel trains have transported 41,101 tonnes of parcels contributed Rs. 19.68 crores by 23.03.2021. These trains have provided a time-bound safe, fast and economical transport option for the parcel customers.
· Doodh Duronto introduced as a special Milk Train to run from Renigunta in Andhra Pradesh to Hazrat Nizamuddin in New Delhi has transported 7.14 crore litres of milk (which is the highest in any financial year since commencement of milk loading from Renigunta in 2011). The 302 Doodh Duronto special have contributed Rs 33.90 crores in earnings.
· This year, SCR also started South India’s first Kisan Rail from Anantapur as well as Telangana’s first Kisan Rail from Warangal. In total, the zone has run 103 Kisan Rails transporting 36,949 tonnes of agricultural commodities contributing Rs. 17.11 crores in revenue.
· SCR was also the first to start a Special Parcel train to Bangladesh when a parcel train carrying red chillies was started from Reddipalem in Guntur to Benapole in Bangladesh. In all, the zone has transported 5,035 tonnes of parcels to Bangladesh contributing Rs. 2.33 crores in revenue.
· For the first time on SCR, a New high capacity LHB Parcel Vans have also been introduced in Time tabled parcel train bound towards Guwahati from Kacheguda, which has been added advantage to load more parcels.
· For the convenience of cargo aggregators, several stations have been opened for parcel traffic during the lockdown period to facilitate hassle free and smooth transportation of parcels by Rail.
· The parcel transportation to the farther destinations like Howrah, Nizamuddin, Guwahati, Ludhiana etc helped in connecting more places for supplying essential commodities.
· In addition, the leased and Non-leased parcel traffic through regular trains has transported 97,622 tonnes of parcels contributing Rs. 31.35 crores in parcel revenue.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, South Central Railway complimented Principal Chief Commercial Manager, South Central Railway on achieving the increased parcel revenue during the current financial year. He also stated that time tabled parcel trains which were introduced in the current year has been very popular among parcel customers and has given a big boost to the parcel transportation business of the Zone.