- The modifications will reduce train detentions and enhance sectional capacity
- It will particularly ease simultaneous train movements between Secunderabad – Vishakhapatnam
South Central Railway has commissioned a major yard modification along with electronic interlocking system in the Vijayawada yard to ease the train movements, particularly for trains operating between Secunderabad – Vishakhapatnam.
Vijayawada Junction is one of the major junction stations over Indian Railways handling train movements on all four directions – North, South, East and Western parts of the country. Previously, there used to be of train detention whenever there was simultaneous movement of train movements happening in the both directions of Secunderabad – Vishakhapatnam and Vishakhapatnam – Secunderabad directions. The detention of these train movements in-turn used to have a cascading effect on the movement of other trains movement as well.
To overcome these problems, remove lay-out related detentions, South Central Railways undertook the important yard modification of the Vijayawada Yard, particularly involving in the Northern section. As part of it, a new cabin has been set-up, another cabin has been shifted and two existing cabins have been modified:
· A New Bulb Cabin with Electronic Interlocking (EI) has been commissioned with 32 routes.
· The New West Block Hut (NWBH) cabin has been shifted and commissioned with 20 routes to provide connectivity with the newly added line of 1.5 Km.
· Two existing Cabins “Bulb Cabin” and “D Cabin” have been altered to take into account the new yard modifications.
As a result of these major yard modifications of this important junction station, it will:
· Avoid surface crossings and allow simultaneous train movements, particularly for trains operating from Secunderabad – Vishakhapatnam and vice versa.
· Avoid train detentions particularly for trains operating between Secunderabad – Vishakhapatnam and Vijayawada – Vishakhapatnam
· Enhance the sectional capacity allowing the possibility of handling more trains.
· Enhance the average speed of the trains in the section.
· Provide hassle-free and seamless movement of train movements through the yard.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager has complimented the Officers and Staff of Vijayawada Division, Construction organisation and Headquarters who were pivotal in execution and early completion of this new Infrastructure facility. He also opined that these major yard modifications pave the way for smooth operation of train services at Vijayawada junction, duly avoiding multiple crossings at this busy junction station.