To enhance safety at Level Crossing gate, South Central Railway is eliminating all the Manned Level Crossing (LC) gates on mission mode, following the complete elimination of Unmanned LC gates across its network. In this direction, Hyderabad division of SCR has been successful in elimination of Level Crossing 97E located between Gadwal - Sriramnagar stations in Secunderabad - Dhone section, overcoming major challenges.
In the current financial year, Hyderabad division has eliminated two manned Level crossing gates so far and is progressing well to strengthen safety across its jurisdiction. The LC gate located between Gadwal - Sriramnagar stations is in the close proximity of Krishna River and posed many challenges which were tackled in an effective manner by Team SCR. The construction of RUB in place of LC gate was executed with meticulous planning and the team has adopted advanced technology with necessary safety measures to accomplish the task.
Some of the highlight points are -
· LC gate is located in 2.5-degree curvature. Accordingly, wooden sleepers were laid with perfection on the girder.
· Deep excavation was carried out and controlled blasting was done due to presence of hard rock. In addition, Hard rock was used for sound bearing of girder.
· As Krishna River is nearby, continuous dewatering activity was undertaken as the ground water table is almost at ground level.
· Crops are harvested throughout the year (except between April – July) in the fields adjacent to Railway boundary. Hence the work was taken up during this period.
· The work could be completed successfully despite of the heavy rain.
· To ensure additional safety, tamping work was done by Tie Tamping machine for three rounds.
· Adequate measures such as social distancing, wearing of masks etc were also been taken while executing the work.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, SCR congratulated Divisional Railway Manager, Hyderabad and his team of officers and staff involved in undertaking the task. He also appreciated for successful completion of the work in the most efficient manner, with least disturbance to the normal flow of rail traffic even during the pandemic times and adverse environment conditions at a crucial location.