- Part of Guntur - Guntakal Doubling & Electrification Project
- Works get speeded up in the balance sections
South Central Railway continues to give top priority in enhancing the infrastructure over its network for the benefit of rail passengers. Commissioning of Double line with electrification between Donakonda – Kurichedu for a distance of 12.5 Kms is one among such initiatives by the Zone giving boost to the rail network in Prakasam district. The section has been commissioned as part of the Guntur - Guntakal Doubling & Electrification Project.
The Guntur - Guntakal Section is vital rail link connecting the coastal belt of Andhra Pradesh State with Rayalaseema region and beyond South. Guntur - Guntakal Doubling & Electrification project was sanctioned with a view to provide seamless transportation and ease the congestion on this section. So far, doubling & electrification between Nallapadu – Satulur (32 kms), Dhone – Pendekallu- Edduladoddi (36.6 Kms) and Gajjelakonda - Donakonda (12.4 Kms) has already been completed and commissioned.
Now, with the completion of another 12.5 Kms between Donakonda – Kurichedu, a total of 93.5 Kms length of doubling works with electrification has been completed on the Guntur – Guntakal section. The Project has picked up its pace in the recent times with the special interest entrusted by Railways in Electrification & other infrastructure projects. Accordingly. the works in the balance sections of the project are in fast progress.
The Benefits of the Project are –
1. Potential for running increased number of trains between Guntur-Guntakal, particularly from Eastern parts of the country like Howrah, Bhubaneswar, Visakhapatnam etc., towards Rayalaseema region and beyond down South.
2. The enhanced connectivity will help in improving the Socio-economic condition of the region, especially for the people of Guntur, Prakasam, Kurnool and Anantapur districts.
3. Improves freight transportation by harnessing the potential of mineral rich Palnadu Region to transport its produce/goods to any part of the country.
4. Doubling of this section enhances overall train handling capacity in the Guntur/Vijayawada region, with the possibility of diverting more trains via Guntur to balance the rail traffic and reduce the congestion on the Grand Trunk route.
Shri Gajanan Mallya, General Manager, SCR specially complimented the Officials and staff involved in the completion of the project. He stated that the Zone is always in forefront in augmenting infrastructure facilities and Guntur - Guntakal doubling and electrification project is one of the important projects carried out by the Zone in the state of Andhra Pradesh. He also opined that the completion of entire stretch will ease congestion and paves the way for smooth operation of train services.