- The Contract has been awarded in August 2022 with an estimated cost of Rs. 102 crores and is targeted to complete by May 2024.
Ministry of Railways has undertaken prestigious project of ‘Redevelopment of Railway Stations’ to provide world class amenities with elegant features. As part of it, major upgradation of Nellore station has been initiated by South Central Railway. Accordingly, the Contract for undertaking this crucial work developmental works has been awarded in August 2022 to M/s. SCL Infratech Ltd., Hyderabad and it is targeted to complete within 21 months period i.e., by May, 2024.
Nellore Railway station is located along the important grand trunk route and is one of the important District headquarters in the State of Andhra Pradesh. It has got a special importance with large number of rail passengers travelling for educational, pilgrim and commercial purposes among others. Currently, the station handles a footfall of around 30, 000 passengers and is likely to go up further. Keeping in view all these factors, the Station Upgradation has been planned under EPC mode to handle both current as well as future passenger traffic.
To complete the station Upgradation within the targeted time, work has already commenced. The brief details of the works that been done till are as follows:
· The necessary construction for setting up of site offices, concrete lab and storage sheds for stacking of materials has been completed.
· The Survey for the total station premises and geological investigation with regard to soil testing, water table position and Standard Bearing Capacity tests has been completed.
· To ensure that the Court proceedings situated in the station premises doesn’t get hampered, a temporary construction for the functioning of Court as well as GRP office has been completed. In addition, Marking for Construction of permanent court building has been given.
· Construction of 4 Nos pedestals for providing of COPs on platform No.1 are completed and fabrication of COP shelters is in progress.
· The designing of the upcoming East Side Station Building has been done and the same has been submitted to IIT Madras for proof checking.
Shri Arun Kumar Jain, General Manager, SCR has stated that the Upgradation works have commenced at Nellore station and the progress of this important project is being monitored at every stage. The General Manager stated that the Upgradation works have been awarded under EPC mode so that it will be completed within the scheduled targeted time. He also instructed the Officials to extend full cooperation to ensure that all the requisite modern passenger facilities are operational at the earliest time frame.