Duties of AssistantEngineer–
The duties of the Assistant Engineer are detailed in various chapters of the Indian Railways Permanent Way Manual, the Indian Railway Works Manual and the Indian Railway Bridge Manual, the most essential being :
(1) Inspection and maintenance of track and all structures in a satisfactory and safe condition;
(2) Preparation of plans and estimates; execution and measurement of works including track works;
(3) Verification of stores held by stockholders;
(4) Submission of proposals for inclusion in the track renewal programme, revenue budget and the works programme.
The Permanent Way Inspector is generally responsible for :
(1) Maintenance and inspection of track in a satisfactory and safe condition for traffic.
(2) Efficient execution of all works incidental to track maintenance, including track relaying works.
(3) Accountal and periodical verification of stores and tools in his charge.
(4) Maintenance of land boundaries between stations and at unimportant stations as may be specified by the administration.
Duties of Mates, Keymen and Gangmen –
(1) Every Mate, Keyman and Gangman shall have the correct knowledge of hand and detonating signals and shall be conversant with the following rules :
(a) Protecting the line in an emergency and during work affecting the track.
(b) Method of fixing and safety range of detonators.
(c) Action to be taken when a train is noticed to have parted .
(d) “Safety first” rules
(e) Action to be taken where sabotage is suspected, and patrolling in emergencies.
(2) Every Mate and Keyman shall see that the signals, supplied to the Gangs are kept in good order and ready for use and that every man in his Gang has a correct knowledge of all the signals.
DUTIES OF SECTION ENGINEER (Works)
The duties of the Section Engineer (Works) are detailed in the various chapters of the Indian Railways Works Manual, the most essential being :-
(i) Inspection and maintenance of :- Service buildings, staff quarters and other structures- Approach roads; - Water supply, drainage and sewerage systems;
(ii) Inspection of bridge works as assigned;
(iii) Execution of all new buildings/ structural works;
(iv) Accountal and periodical verification of stores and tools in his charge;
(v) Maintenance of land boundaries, as specified;
(vi) Removal of encroachments at his headquarters and at other places in his jurisdiction as specified;
(vii) Afforestation and other horticulture works.
(viii) He shall ensure proper training of the staff under him as prescribed in the training modules of the Civil Engineering Department
DUTIES OF BRIDGE INSPECTOR:
i. Inspection of bridges and other structures:
1. He is responsible for carrying out detailed inspection of :
a) All welded, RCC, PSC and composite girders and their bearing within one year of installation.
b) Girders kept under observation, once a year or at intervals specified by the Chief Bridge Engineer.
c) Floor system of early steel girders once a year.
d) Superstructure including bearings of all Steel girders of span 12.2 m and above, RCC, PSC and composite girder bridges once in five years on planned basis.
e) Other nominated steel structures, being maintained by him, once in five years.
Records of inspection :
3. Maintenance of bridges and other structures :
He shall maintain the following structures in good condition by taking immediate action to carry out necessary repairs, painting, oiling and greasing, etc.
a) Superstructure and bearing of all Steel bridges of span 12.2m and above, PSC, RCC and composite girders.
b) Other steel structures as specified by Chief Engineer.
4. He will be responsible for the erection of steel girders for all major bridges, PSC Girders.
5. He will be responsible for the erection of workshop structures and Flood light towers, if ordered by the Chief Engineer.
6. He will be responsible for the accountal and periodical verification of stores, tools and plants in his charge.
Duties of Drawing Staff
1.Generation of Drawings
2.Preparation of estimates, Tender schedules
3.Verification and processing bills for payments
DUTIES OF MINISTERIAL STAFF
To assist in general office working, processing for sanctions, maintenance of records etc.