SOUTH CENTRAL RAILWAY
OF GUNTAKAL DIVISION
First Electrification work in Guntakal Division was taken up between GDR-TPTY via Renigunta Railway junction in the year 1984. Renigunta is a gateway to world famous pilgrim center of Lord Sri. Venkateswaraswamy of Tirumala. Guntakal Division is connecting Railway link between Southern & Northern parts of India and having boundaries with 7 other divisions of SCR, SR, SWR & CR Zones i.e., BZA division is connecting at GDR, GNT Division at NDL, HYB Division at DHNE, SC Division at CT (WADI) of SCR, UBL division of SWR at HDD (BAY), SUR division at WADI of CR & CEN Division at RU & BUM (KPD) of SR.
In the year 1984 GDR- RU - TPTY section about 150 TKM (Single line) was electrified making Guntakal Division to occupy a place in the Electrification map of Indian Railways and Subsequently the Electrification is rapidly expanded in the entire Division having Route KMs Electrified: 1041.81/Track KMs Electrified: 2549.31. the remaining Electrification works is under progress in DMM-PAK & YA-NDL and after completion 100% of route kilometers will be achieved in Guntakal Division.
Self-propelled OHE inspection Cars and Road vehicles are equipped at various maintenance depots all along electrified route of Guntakal Division.
- The Organization is headed by Sr. DEE, and assisted by Divisional Officer at Guntakal and Sub Divisional officers at Renigunta, Kadapa, Gooty and Raichur. The division consists of 15 Over Head Maintenance (OHE) and Power System Installations (PSI) depots and 16 sub-stations (i.e., 14 TSS in Andhra Pradesh state, 1 TSS in Telangana State & 1 TSS in Karnataka state) draw Power supply from APTRANSCO/TSTRANSCO/KPTCL at 220/132/110kV for more reliability. The 220/132/110 kV is stepped down to 25kV and fed to the Locos via the Overhead Equipment.
- Yadgir Traction Sub Station pertaining to TRD/GTL Division is switching over to Open access from 31.05.2021, it is the 1st one in GTL Division & 2nd in SCR. Now onwards the power will be drawn from Bharatiya Rail Bijlee Company Limited (BRBCL) through open access.
- The OHE depots carry-out preventive maintenance of the traction installations i.e., the wires over the track from which the Locomotive pantograph draws the current. The PSI depots maintain the Railway traction sub-stations which feed the OHE with 25KV A.C. Power.
- The PSI and OHE activities are monitored by the Traction Power Controller (TPC), who monitors the voltages of the system and advises the Section Traffic Controller to regulate trains.
- The equipment at traction sub-stations and switching stations is controlled remotely by TPC through SCADA system and monitoring of energy conservation in electric traction.
- The monthly average electrical consumption towards Electrical Traction is 22.95million units, billing to 15.17 Crore (approx.).
B. Hema Naik